Monday, January 22, 2018

Album review: Fall Out Boy - M A N I A

Album cover

"MANIA" is the newest album by the American band Fall Out Boy, it was released on January 19th, 2018, and I'm so happy to have new music from one the few bands that I still listen since I was a kid. 

First of all, I noticed something very weird about this album and is that, the songs are in a different number of the list according the version, I mean, if you bought it in the digital version (iTunes), the songs follow a different order than in the CD version (example, the first track in digital version is "Young and Menace" and in CD version is "Stay Frosty Royal Milk Tea").  

"MANIA" The change
Since they released "Young and Menace" (the first single), I noticed a different sound, which was loved by some and hated for others. In my case, I didn't like it, because from my point of view it sounded as a remix, but not as the "real" version of the song. Now, that the full album has been released and that I can listen to this new concept, I have to say that I still don't like it, because I don't feel it, I just don't vibe with it. However, it's the only song that I could skip from the whole album, because "MANIA" is full of new anthems and bangers. 
"MANIA" follows a little bit of the same "formula" from their previous album ("American Beauty/American Psycho", 2015), because it has that "commercial sound" that makes it "radio friendly," you know, it has catchy hooks and electronic sounds that make it sound as pop songs. Personally, I like when bands explore new or different music genres without losing their essence or style. In their case, they still sound like Fall Out Boy, they haven't lose they vibe. An example of how they use a new music genre is the song "Sunshine Riptide" (featuring Burna Boy), which is a mixture between reggae and rock that works very well, because it's a great collaboration and it sounds so good.


As I said, this album has great new songs that sound very fresh. I will start with my favorite track, which is "The Last of the Real Ones", I loved this song because of its explosive rhythm and meaning, it is also part of the epic love songs that "MANIA" has. According to Pete Wentz, "The Last of the Real Ones" is about: "That kind of love you feel for someone because of their glitches not in spite of them..." 
The other love song that made think: "This is epic!" was "Church", which through the use of metaphors and religious terms, Patrick sings about worship and unconditional love to a person. 
Nevertheless, if you want to rock more "Stay Frosty Royal Milk Tea" is perfect and it's also an empowering song; it talks about resistance and overcoming some problems that we may face. On the other hand, "HOLD ME TIGHT OR DON'T", "Champion", and "Bishops Knife Trick" have remarkable verses and stunning beats.

"MANIA" by Fall Out Boy is an album where we can hear their musical evolution, without losing their unique lyrical style and vibe. Except for "Young and Menace" (from my point of view) each song is unforgettable melodiously and lyrically, probably, the album is not that "solid" about it's concept, but I really liked it.

Fall Out Boy - M A  N   I    A: ★★★★

Tell me guys, what was your favorite song from the album? Write it down and let's keep in touch, comment and / or share this blog. Remember that the official twitter of this blog is @JusSayinggBlog and Facebook @JusSayinggBlog also my staff is on the left top of this page. Thanks for still been here and see you later with new posts!

Listen it on Spotify
Buy it on iTunes


0 comentarios: