Monday, August 1, 2016

Album Review: ZHU - Generationwhy

Album cover
The Chinese American electronic musician, record producer, and singer ZHU, has released his debut album "Generationwhy". His debut album Generationwhy was released on July 29th, 2016.

I listen to ZHU's music since he released "Automatic", featuring AlunaGeorge as the lead single from the EP "Genesis Series", released in 2015, it was the reason that made me start listening to this talented musician. When I found out that he was working in his debut album, I got really excited, because "Genesis Series" was amazing EP, but it was not enought for me, I wanted more songs. 
So, after this little introduction of how I discovered him, I will begin with the album review.

"Generationwhy" begins with the "Intro (Neon City)", it samples an audio of the American poet, memoirist, and civil rights activist Maya Angelou saying a verse of her poem “Still I Rise”. The poesy is included in And Still I Rise, her third volume of poetry. Followed up by "Cold Blooded" (featuring Jaymes Young), a song about an addictive relationship and as all his songs, it has a "dark" sound. In fact, ZHU's music is characterised for its dark sound, neo-noir aesthetic and the synth inspired sounds of the 80’s, that makes it an album very misterious and sexual.
In fact, "sexual" is one of the main characteristics in "Generationwhy", actually, I can say that several songs (or the whole album) would be perfect for a night with your lover, you know what I mean. However, I chose the most sexual songs, that will make you have an unforgetable night. The first one is "In The Morning" (it is my favorite song), followed by "Electrify Me", "Numb" (which has an amazing intro), "Reaching" (featuring Nikola Bedingfield). However, personally "Palm of My Hand" is the king of the sexual songs that you can find in his debut album, it has an acstatic guitar solo and the girl speaking in French, makes it hotter as hell.

But if you are alone (I mean if you don't have a lover), don't worry! There are more songs with a different message, not everything is about love and sex. For instance, "Money" that is about love too!... The truth is that the whole album is about love and sex, but in this song ZHU sings about it in a different way (I guess). While, "Hometown Girl" (featuring Jaymes Young), is like the "saddest" track, because it talks about someone he trusts and love, but for one reason or another, he isn’t with her and has has been trying to fill the void with “get around girls”. On the other hand, the last two tracks are about life and how we live it. The penultimate song called "Good Life" (featuring Adam Schmalholz & Broods), where I found a beautiful verse, that says: 

"You think you hurt me, but I promise I was letting you
They say we're all one, but where have we been headed to
I'd rather die free than have to live inside a petting zoo
I am the journey that I'm getting to"

The album ends with the song that gives the album title, "Generationwhy" that is a good song about live our life without feel ashamed, I loved its beat and it has a great vibe.
To finish, I am pretty sure that ZHU's debut album is one of the best of this music genre released in 2016 and he has made unforgetable tracks with great messages and ecstatic melodies. Well done ZHU.

 ZHU - Generationwhy (Album): ★★★★★  

I would like to know your opinion about it. Do you like ZHU's music style? Did you already listen to this album? What was your favorite song? 
Don't forget that you can find this blog on Twitter and Fcaebook too! Also, share it with friends and visit me daily.


0 comentarios: