Thursday, September 15, 2016

Album Review: M.I.A. - AIM

Album cover
AIM is the fifth studio album by English recording artist M.I.A, released on September 9th, 2016. M.I.A. said that it would be her final album, so I hope you have the opportunity of hear it, because there won't be a "next album". "AIM" has two versions, the standard with 12 and the deluxe with 17 tracks, it also features collaborations with  Blaqstarr, Diplo and Skrillex.

Her penultimate album "Matangi", was released in 2013 and I remember that when I heard it I was like "What's this sh#t?!", in those times I didn't know how her music style was like. However, with the the pass of the weeks listening the album, I liked her music. Now, I have heard "AIM" and I can tell you that she keeps her same music style, but she has explored new sounds and beats. According to some music critics, they say that "AIM" has lack of focus, maybe because she talks about several issues, such as: inequality, peace, migration, etc. I have to say that "AIM" is not a bad album, but "Matangi" was way better.

Let's talk about some tracks. "Borders" is the first track off and as you know, it talks about migration and she tries to make us reflect about different issues like: politics, police shots, boat people, etc. I like the beat of this song and when I saw the video, I understood what she wanted to tell us. The first track is followed by "Go Off", that according with Maya (M.I.A.'s name), " it was the first song that came together for the album", and the song gives references to the bombings. Other good song is "Freedun", featuring ZAYN, where she talks about her as artists and other issues. Maya also said "I didn’t put it on that (Matangi) cos it felt too pop and I wasn’t ready to make that record. Matangi was like a lot weirder, so it didn’t fit the record and I kept it. […] But it really fits perfectly on this one."


As all we know, M.I.A. has Indian roots and she always reflects it in her music, that is why there a several songs that have a strong Indu vibe, such as: "Jump In", "A.M.P (All My People)", "Ali R U OK?" and "Visa", where she talks about borders and immigrations:

"At the border I see the patroller cruising past in their car
Creeping in my socks and slipper
Mexicans say "hola!"
At the border I see the patroller cruising past in their car
Hiding in my Toyota Corolla, everybody say "Y.A.L.A.!""

"Foreign Friend", featuring Dexta Daps is my favorite song, I like its message of friendship and its dark beat. Talking about "dark" beats "Foreign Friend" is not the only song with that style, because "The New International Sound Pt. 2" (featuring GENER8ION) and "Platforms" have that kind of rhythm. However, if you want to dance there are a few tracks that are great to turn on the party, such as: "Finally", "Bird Song" (Diplo version), "Swords" and "Talk" are the most danceable tracks.

Finally, M.I.A. has explored new beats without losing her original style and in "AIM", she makes us reflect about different and important issues, such as; migration and the lack of freedom. I liked this new album and even when I was expecting something more "Matangi", we have to understand that with each album, the artists has to change, in order to grow musically and personaly. 

M.I.A. - AIM: ★★★★  

Now it's your turn to write your comment about it. Do you already heard Maya's album? Did you liked this album? What was your favorite song? Don't forget to follow me on Twitter and Facebook (@JusSayinggBlog) and to visit the other posts.


0 comentarios: