Monday, September 26, 2016

Album Review: Skylar Grey - Natural Causes

Album cover
Natural Causes is the third studio album by American recording artist Skylar Grey. It is her second album since her stage name change from Holly Brook to Skylar Grey. It was released on September 23rd, 2016. 

I know her since 2010, when Diddy released the song Coming Home featuring Skylar's vocals. However, this is the first album by Skylar Grey that I listen.
Lyrically, there are songs mainly about love, break-ups, unrequited love and difficult experiences. Something that I like from Skylar Grey's songs is that, she is very honest and she always sing about deeper feelings. Natural Causes is totally an alternative pop album, with some of R&B vibes. 

The first track is actually an intro called Intro - Wilderness, that serves to introduce us to her dark world full of honesty. As all the intros, it is short and Skylar's voice sounds slightly robotized, because of the use of the synthesizer. I have noticed that there are powerful songs, because of their messages, for example: Lemonade about an unrequited love, Kill for You featuring Eminem, that has a dark story behind, because it was inspired by Bonnie and Clyde's story, they were a couple known for their homicides and robberies. Continuing with songs about love issues, Real World talks about love in the real world and not through a computer or cell phone. Straight Shooter is like the darker song, because it is a little violent, but its meaning is like to be honest with the other and with yourself and always do what you want to. 
Personally, the saddest song is Come Up for Air, which is a break-up song and its message is pretty sad. It is about a girl that has broken up with her ex, but she knows that he will come back with her just to play with her heart and she will be there for he.

"And I will still be here
When you come up for air
Do you what you gotta do
I'll wait for you, to come for air"


On the other hand, there are songs that lyrically repeat the same verses several times; but they are just as amazing as the other ones. For instance, Jump that has a catchy chorus or Closer the last track, it also has a relaxing rhythm and it gives a beautiful and lit ending to the album. But my favorite song was Off Road, which is also one of the most rhythmic tracks from Natural Causes; it is my favorite song because of its message, that is to enjoy our life, because is too short to not enjoy it and also that is better to try new things instead of doing the same shit. 

There are some songs that bring light to it, such as: Moving Mountains that is a beautiful ballad that according to Skylar is about “finding your happiness"; she said: "In the verses I’m talking about that ambitious side of myself, talking from the perspective of the ambitious career-oriented person, and then in the chorus I’m the more enlightened me."
In My Garden, Picture Perfect and We Used to Be Bad are also great and each one have a different message, but I think that what these songs have in commun is that, they talk about acceptance and past memories. 

I have to say that I been listening to Natural Causes since it came out and I think I'm not going to stop. Skylar Grey is an amazing artists with original music style and talent.

Skylar Grey - Natural Causes: ★★★★★  

Now it's your turn to write your comment about it. Did you liked this album? What was your favorite song? Don't forget to follow me on Twitter and Facebook (@JusSayinggBlog) and to visit the other posts. Furthermore, you can read the other album reviews that you will find here.





0 comentarios: